So, we were going to have our garage rebuilt and kitchen extended sideways but now that's not going to happen. Not for a while at least. The cost would have been 70k and put up our mortgage by about 350/mo. All within reasonable limits but I recently ran some numbers (because I'm quite good at that) and:
- Our living costs are inching up; I've saved a lot by going to Bulb (energy), moving insurance, I rarely use the car (£50 of fuel in 3 months).
- My salary is static. Likely to remain so for another year.
- Kate is going to be out of work for about 4 years: once Naomi is ready for nursery and her counselling course is complete. Doing anything big on one salary is unwise.
- Interest rates are going to go up, which will eat a little more.
And the big one...
I think it's prudent to wait until after we've left and the dust has settled before getting stuck in.
The good thing about planning permission is that it lasts for a very long time, so if we need to pause - or even not do it - then we can indefinitely. All we've really lost is the money paid to the architects, which I think was worthwhile.
It's quite depressing but we'll make it work; it just means that I'm unlikely to be VRing for a good few years. :(