I'm reasonably pleased with last years results...I had a good year. My plan for next year is to build on that. I'm going to be a bit more focused, as I have 2 quite time-consuming activities to work on...
- Risk Losing - This one sounds weird, but there is rationale behind it. I play it too safe in pack races... I'm too concerned about blowing up. I need to trust my ability and my training more, and risk putting more effort into the end of races, to put myself in a position to score points.
- Get my Cat 2 License - This will be hard. I will need to accumulate 40 points (equivalent to 4 race wins, or 40 10th places). I'm coming into the year physically pretty fit, but I need to convert that to race performances, which will involve improving my race-craft. as of 1st January 2016 I'm eligible to race in Masters C races (40+ age group), so I have a wider selection of races to enter.
- As a sub-part of this, I want to specifically target the ORRL. I've swapped clubs from Reading CC (who don't really have a race team, focused more on Time Trialling and Audaxes/sportives) to GS Henley (who do have a decent race team), so should be able to look to a bit more support from team-mates. Also, their kit is nicer.
- Top 5% in Closed-Road Sportives - same as last year. I'm not doing Mallorca312 again (once was enough), but for any closed-road mass-participation event, I'll be looking to place highly;
- Velothon Wales - 22nd May
- Cambridge Gran Fondo - 5th June
- RideLondon (entry tbc) - 31st July
These goals have already been handed to my coach, and will form the basis of my training for the next year. This is a significant time commitment (approximately 600 hours across the year).
Not having any...folding this into cycling, as that is a better driver for any gains I need to make in this area. My weight matters less if I have more power.
- Discover 4 new authors - Same as last year...keep a list of books to read, and make sure that I try new authors. I'll use the various book awards as resources here.
- Be aware of new music - again, vague but suitable. This just means that I need to occasionally turn off the play-list, and go hunting for stuff that strikes a chord with me. 90% of my music listening is during training, and I gravitate towards higher energy/tempo music these days.
- Put 10% of Wages into Gross Savings - I'm already doing this, however I want to commit to continue doing it. In the latter part of 2015 long term finances once again reared their head. Generally speaking, I'm in an OK position (I've been paying a pension since I was 21, and we've been lucky on the house), however I'm concerned about the long-term viability of my job, so building up a catch-net of finances is a good thing. I say Gross, as this savings pot will probably be dipped into for some things (holidays, for example), however we don't really spend that much on them.
- Improve my Baking - Feedback from my GBBO entry from last year was that I need more variety and experience, and better presentation skills. I'm going to give it another shot this year, and will be spending the next 8-10 months building towards that. I've had a few recommendations to blog about it...in 2 minds about that (there are millions of blogs already on the subject, however documentation of process always helps). Specifically, I need to move beyond loaf-tins and pound-cakes.
- I'll aim to do one major new bake per week, with repetition/improvement as required (as I did with macarons). This is a fairly major time commitment, and the main reason I've reduced my Entertainment Goals down from last year (I spend a lot more time in the kitchen).