So, scored fairly averagely last year. Time to step up and see if I can do any better in 2015.
I've already agreed some targets with my coach for 2015.
- Be Competitive. Currently in races I can stay with the main pack, but when it comes to the end of the race I lack a sprint, and the power to be contending for positions. That needs to change, and I need to be vying for top-10 positions
- Get my cat3 license. This will be pretty much a validation of number 1...if I can start consistently getting top-10 positions, I'll start getting points, and 12 points gets me my cat3 racing license. This will open up a lot more options of where and when I can race - Deadline of 30th November 2015
- For any targetted non-race events (aka sportives) finish in the top 5% of all times. Currently I have 2 targetted events planned and booked;
- Mallorca 312 - 25th April
- Velothon Wales - 14th June
These will form the basis of my training (which equates to about 10-14 hours a week).
In some way related to the cycling ones, though also I'm going to be hitting 40 in 2016, so anything I can do to improve my physical well-being now will go a long way to stop the natural degeneration we all get.
- Drop weight. I'm currently about 67kg, and in order to support my cycling goals, I'd like to get down to at least 63kg for Mallorca 312. I'd then aim to stay at sub-65kg for the rest of the year - Deadline of 25th April 2015
- Healthy Diet - I snack too much. I need to eat more protein, less simple carbohydrates. This is a tricky one to target, for the first 3-4 months of the year I will be on a controlled weight-loss, and then after that it will be working on a maintenance plan. One key goal will be adding in more variety to my diet.
- Read books by 4 new authors - this will be the third year of doing this, and it's worked very well. More than happy to continue doing this.
- Play more computer games - I have (almost, just been sent back to have the SSD's installed) a new gaming rig, and I've gotten into the habit of playing "casual" games, rather than get in a high-quality gaming session. I shall set myself the target of finding 2 enjoyable story-based games, and completing them - Deadline of 31st December
- Be aware of new music - again, a bit vague, but listen out for new bands, don't just settle for what you've already listened to.
- Run something at Addington Gardens (a LAN, a boardgames weekend...something)
- Survive a cruise. Yes, we are going on a cruise (7 days around Italy, starting in Genoa, and ending in Venice). This is very much out of my comfort zone, but has the potential to be excellent. If everyone needs a good laugh..you're not allowed in the restaurant without a collared shirt, and there will be probably 2 black-tie evenings. I also suffer from sea-sickness.
- Start overpaying mortgage - we keep saying this, but not much comes of it. Get a better grip on my finances, and start funnelling more money into paying off the house.
- Learn a new skill - wasn't sure if this should be cycling-based or not. I intend to learn bike maintenance, and I've set myself the goal of building myself a winter bike from component parts - Deadline of 30th September 2015